As some of you know, BMK of Reservations Not Required and I (Tara) cooked March’s Chicken Piccata recipe together using Skype, a free web-based video conference service. Let me tell you, we had a blast! With the success of this attempt, we want you to get involved! Think of it as a way to connect with and get to know other BBs, a way to work your way through some of Ina’s best recipes with someone else, and a way for you to learn some new techniques from other BBs.
Obviously, not all recipes will be conducive to this method – what do you do on Skype while a cake is baking for 40 minutes?? So we’re going to start this new feature with the Croque Monsieurs – a recipe that will allow you to be cooking right about until the sandwiches are ready to eat and one that can be made for either lunch or dinner.
A few things to keep in mind before you start Skyping:
- make sure you’ve tested out Skype on your computer – you should run the tests that Skype recommends
- check that the volume settings on your computer are on and are loud enough for you
- you may have some issues with dropped calls – stick with it and connect again
- have all of your ingredients prepped and ready to go
- the cooking time on the recipe may be extended due to extra chatting 🙂
If you want to participate, you will need a laptop or desktop with a webcam that faces your kitchen and you will need to download Skype. Then email me (email@example.com) and let me know what time zone you’re in. I will match up Bloggers based on time zone and will email you back with your match and their email address. Before you email me, check to make sure that Skype will work on your computer. It will be your responsibility to connect with your Skype match and confirm when you can Skype together.
That’s it! If you have any questions, comment below.